Based on the requirements of a largely fully automated monitoring system, the suitability of basic data is evaluated in terms of accuracy, availability and completeness. The basic data will be completed if necessary and the data formats and data structures will be adapted to the monitoring system.
For monitoring of the damaged areas and causes of damage, reference data will be compiled in order to adjust the model parameters and train the classifiers. A distinction is made between reference and validation data on damage events and causes from the previous years 2018-2020 (historical data) and reference and validation data that will be collected during the project period (2021-2023). Both for training and validation by the countries (current data). In addition, baseline information available on areal basis, such as tree species maps, timber volume maps, and current forest masks, will also be included.
Involved Project Partner:
- Thünen Institute of Forest Ecosystems
- Joanneum Research
- Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL)
- Forest Research Institute of Baden-Württemberg (FVA-BW)
- Northwest German Forest Research Institute (NW-FVA)
- The Bavarian State Institute of Forestry (LWF)
- State Enterprise Sachsenforst (SBS)